August 2nd, 2014 // Florence, Italy

0 Comments

Well. This trip was interesting. Wendy and I headed to Florence after we went to see the Pantheon. We took a train to florence and I was knackered so I dozed off while attempting to read. From what I did see, the train ride was pretty! Italy is pretty, but it reminds me more of Arizona pretty. The heat is noticeable even in the trees. (They have a more dull green than Scotland & Ireland). 
We got off the train, bought a map and decided to wander. We had some time to kill. We stopped for lunch and I really wanted good pizza, so I ordered it again. This time it was good, not fishy in the slightest. We could check in so we decided to navigate our way to the hostel. There was part of the city that was straight uphill stairs. I have never climbed so many steep/tiring/difficult steps as those ones we had to climb to get to our hostel. We stopped and rested a few times on the way up.
It was intense.
Here is where the interesting comes in: our hostel was incorrectly named. It wasn't a hostel, it was a camp site.
We rented a tent.
In the middle of summer in southern Italy.
Winifred, you were supposed to double check all of my actions!
We hiked to the back of the camp ground where our tent was. (It was very easy to break into these things). By now we're dripping with sweat and figured we would take a shower and go back to the city. When we opened our tent and felt that it was at least ten degrees hotter inside than outside, we took our valuables (I took my insulin because it was colder outside than it was in there) and immediately left with promises to not come back to the camp site until the sun had been set for two hours.
The stairs were no easier going down than they were going up, but we managed to get past them and back into the city without too much problem. We were just disgusting human beings. We saw the Statue of David, grabbed gelato and wandered until we got lost simply exploring the city. We took the long way to the station and bought our tickets for Venice. Pricey but worth it. We sat in a cafe and I had a latte which was heavenly, just so our feet could take a break and we could be out of the sun for a little while. 
The two of us plotted the rest of the evening and started exploring, as with Rome, the city grew more and more beautiful as the sun set and the lights came alive. We took our time, got lost, bought a book, watched live violinists performing. We headed to a bridge that had shops build off the sides. This was the best part of the night, we listened to a man playing "Over The Rainbow" while we looked at the sun setting over the river.
Once the set had been down for a while we wandered back to our campsite to eat dinner (there was a restaurant there), but I wasn't very hungry. It wasn't until I climbed up those damned stairs that I grew ravenous. We ordered and I started to write in my journal, my last sentence says:

I'm stuffed, oddly tanned and tired. Venice tomorrow, sleep now. Good night.







Wendy loves it when I take pictures of her.











































the details all over these buildings are unreal






























You may also like

No comments:

Blog Archive