Dublin: The Beautiful City I Live In

0 Comments
I'm not really sure where to begin. This blog post doesn't really have a point, just to fill in about my life thus far and the city I'm in. I suppose it'll probably be all over the place. If you don't want to read about my life, just scroll to see the pretty pictures from Dublin. Some are artistic, most are touristy. But my goodness is this place beautiful!

To say I'm having the time of my life is an understatement. A total understatement. I am loving every second of every day. I've been here for about a week and a half and there are so many plans to be made and so many more to be fulfilled. I get along with all of my roommates so well, and they like to travel and see the city. I drag them out, and they do the same. It really couldn't be a better set up.

Last weekend we all went to Galway, and then to the Cliffs of Moher. I'll have a separate post just from that trip. It was beautiful! My favourite place in the world thus far, I'll let you guys know if it changes. Tomorrow we're heading to Cork, weekend after I am going to try and visit family and the weekend after is Sligo with the whole Stint crew. I have another trip planned to go see the Giants Causeway in northern Ireland, a swing dance work shop, a flight to London and one to Prague. That isn't including the tours and day trips around Dublin we have planned nor is it counting my two weeks of Europe travel at the end of my internship.

 Basically I'm busy. Which is an honest surprise to no one, except maybe myself. I work from 9-5:30 and I get home around six. I then have an hour or two max to get dressed and eat some food before my roommates and I are exploring the town. We go out nearly every night, which is why I'm currently exhausted and can't wait to spend the evening wasting my time on the internet on the couch and wearing my new favourite Trinity sweater.

I've started swing dancing in Dublin, which I was told wasn't a super big scene, but it's big enough for me. My instructor is great so far, and I managed to jump into their improvers (their word for intermediate) track after missing two lessons and I kept up alright. At the lindy lessons, they only do lindy. They don't mix east coast six count with it, which was odd to me. However at the east coast lesson/social on Wednesday, it was more like I was used too and it was so much fun. The improvers class is first, and we actually had more leads than follows. Beginners was next, my roommates came to try it out so I did the lesson with them. And then began the dancing. I danced with a guy from Paris, someone from Germany, a few from Ireland and probably others from different countries that I didn't ask. I've already started to make connections. Even if they don't remember my name, they noticed my face. One guy was at the lindy lesson and the social, I wasn't able to dance with him but as he was leaving we crossed paths and he promised to get a dance with me next time.

That's something I want to comment on, people here are so nice. They don't care if you're not from around here, they don't care if you run into the street to jay walk; they'll just wave at you. (I don't think I'll ever get used to looking the 'correct' ways here. I nearly get hit by a car daily because I'm looking in the wrong direction) For whatever reason I don't recall that being much of a problem in Tokyo.

I'm now an avid tea drinker. For almost an entire week I went without coffee. I know! I know, madness! But I had about four cups of tea a day. Two days ago, however, I needed my coffee. The coffee here is good, but sugar free syrups are few and far between to find. There are plenty of Starbucks in walking distance in Dublin, unfortunately none are in my direct path to and from work. On Wednesday I was given the task of walking around Dublin and taking photographs for work. It was basically the best day ever. AND the weather was fantastic. It was warm and the sun was out, wait for it: all. day.
So I treated myself a little, slept until the time I would normally show up at work and grabbed my camera and then headed out for a large sugar free latte. It was fantastic. I really missed it, so today I even made some coffee this morning. (Creamer doesn't exist here, so I drank it black). Maybe I'll get used to it? Probs not.

Wednesday is when I took most of the images that will be on this blog. You'll get to see the unreal sky and the beautiful architecture that fills this city. It really is stunning. I absolutely love it here.

I walk everywhere, which is fantastic. I am a straight shot down the canal to get to work. Within the next week I'll have more photos from around the canal area and where I work. The photos on this blog were mostly taken in the south western side of Dublin. The posh and medieval side.

One of my assignments is to get different views of Dublin, rooftop views of Dublin. I actually have permission to climb things for work! Yay! My other assignment is the colours of Dublin. Wednesday I walked around to get those shots, but also had a grand time taking touristy photos. ;D I went to St. Patrick's cathedral which was stunning. It was only 4.5 euro to take a tour so I walked around and got some shots. At the end I went and talked to the people who worked there to see if I could get into the bell tower and take some shots. She was going to let me! But they were currently doing renovations on the stairs, so she gave me a list of different places in Dublin that I could get high up and take some shots. Super, super sweet lady.
 

I wandered off to Christ's Church cathedral (right down the street, these two cathedrals in the closest proximity to each other than any other cathedrals in the world). I had to take a tour to see the bell towers there, but it didn't start until two and at this point it was one. So I reckoned I'd go off to see the Guiness storehouse (since it has a rooftop bar) and then come back. Turns out I didn't have enough time, so I will be going back to see those bell towers!
I didn't take the tour of Guiness, but I sure as hell will be back to do it. It was fantastic! I walked in and talked to the man in information and he agreed to let me run up to the bar, get a few shots and run back down without having to pay for the tour. I did just that and I could see all of Dublin. It was breathtaking.

I was around the side of town that my internship office was located so I went and said hello. Jeffery and Aoife were there and they helped me figure out Cassandra Clare's book signing times so I can go meet her next month! They also helped me find all the cool book stores around here, so I have a list! I will go this Sunday if not, the following Saturday for sure and see all the awesome books. I'm determined to find Peter Pan in gaelic.  Mel came in a bit late but she gave me a list of rooftop bars and places to get cool views around Dublin! I can't wait to go check out all the places on the list.


I ended up hanging out with Natalie on the green space in front of St. Patricks when she got off work, since it was so beautiful out. Katelyn joined us and I had some ice cream. We ran back home with enough time for me to make some food, change for swing and go to the social. Four hours of swing dancing later and a run into lots of drunk tourist around temple bar, I was back home and in bed. (The sun was actually down when I left swing. So that was pretty cool, Dublin is really beautiful at night. That's another photo project of mine.)

Thursday rolled around and work was relaxed. I edited a few photos that I took and figured out where to go next. The weather on Thursday was ten times worse than it was on Wednesday. Not only was it cold, it was rainy. Which isn't a surprise and doesn't deter things, I just missed the laying in the sun bit. Thursdays though, there is a market on the canal near where I'm working. Ger and I went out and got some burgers and sat by the canal and ate for lunch. I've decided I'll bring my lunch every other day of the week, but Thursdays are market days and trying a different stand each week.

I got home, made dinner really fast and got ready to go out to a fashion app launch, we had to be on a list to get in, and we were on that list. Despite feeling very under dressed/out of my element, everyone there was amazing and multiple people came and sat down and spoke to us. We even made connections for future jobs with this company. That was incredibly exciting. Natalie was craving fried chicken when we finally left, so we went off to find some. And oh my gods, was that the best fried chicken I'd ever had. I wasn't even hungry, but I ate so much. It was delicious.

Elizabeth and I went home afterwards, while the other three girls went out to the bars. It's been a pretty great week so far. I suppose that's all in my immediate life, I'll probably have some commentary with the images but stay tuned for the millions of photos I've taken and haven't been able to edit yet.
Cheers!

This image was barely touched. The sky was that blue and the buildings were that orange. It was incredible.
The beautiful St. Patrick's cathedral
The flags were stunning. If you ever go in, look up. It's kind of dark so you may miss them, but they're so beautiful.
 



Christ's Church Cathedral
The details of these buildings. I mean seriously, look at those doors!

The Liffy, it separates north and south Dublin. There are a number of beautiful bridges that cross, it's lovely.

Guiness storehouse!
The buildings around here were amazing. I love the stone.
View from the rooftop bar.

These were taken yesterday from the balcony from my work.
Ireland can be grey, but it's still so beautiful.



























You may also like

No comments:

Blog Archive