June 5th // Sligo Trip Part 1

0 Comments
I know it's been quite a while since I've updated my blog. Not for lack of trying, forgetting or not wanting to, but because life gets busy. I was really upset this summer when I couldn't keep up, but then I decided it would be fine because this is supposed to be fun and I kept a journal and I kept photos. It would just take me some time get them together on here.

But I've officially started and have made some headway!

Sligo was a group trip organized by Stint. All of us went to the north west part of Ireland to a town Sligo, known for some of the best waves in the world! It was a Saturday when we left and I woke up early to pack since I didn't pack the day before. All the stinter's met at our house and we got onto a small bus to start towards Sligo. It wasn't a bad drive, we all were pretty tired because we went out so we slept off and on but the times I wasn't asleep I was chatting about game of thrones- needless to say: It was a pleasant drive.
We arrived at Sligo and stayed at a super cute B&B. I shared a room with the lovely Cierra. There were complimentary tea and coffee so all of us made ourself some tea and got settled in this beautiful area. Right outside the B&B was the ocean- it was stunning, essentially paradise. It felt like I had walked straight out of Atonement. 
We all went to eat at the restaurant/pub that was located next door. Lunch was delicious there, and we somehow all managed to fit at one table. 
Surfing was next and oh my gods it was a blast. We all got dressed in wet suits (which was extremely difficult to get on by the way) and took a small ride down the coast to a more wave savvy place to surf. We all were taught how to get onto a surf board on the sand before we even made it to the water. And in theory- it all made sense! It was easy, bam- push up then you're standing. Even on the sand, the practicality of it was much more difficult. The teacher was pushing off of air to stand, I didn't understand it. I ended up having a goofy stance, which wasn't too surprising. I do everything left handed/goofy stances in life it seems. We finally made it to the water and practiced riding the waves before even standing (my years of body surfing had taught me well for that). I even managed to stand a few times! I was not a natural though, it would take some practice but it was something I would have loved doing. And the wet suits kept me so warm! I really just liked sitting on the surf board in the middle of the ocean with the sun beating down- it was so peaceful.
Natalie looked completely in her element, I think it was her Aussie accent. She did however just fall off her board by sitting on it, for no reason. I almost pissed myself on that one. And Katelyn was the best. She should move from Boston/Memphis to Australia and learn to be a pro-surfer with Natalie.
After surfing was over (I could have stayed out there for hours), we all showered and got ready for dinner. After dinner I decided to take a walk, and that's where these beautiful images came in. I just walked along the shore with my camera, I was by myself but I liked it. I needed the calm after the whirlwind of the week. Just me and my thoughts, which is sometimes a dangerous place, this time around- wasn't so bad.


The night ended with drinks, Guiness and karaoke. Needless to say, it was one of the best Saturdays of my life.



You may also like

No comments:

Blog Archive